Sunday, May 6, 2012

Pack Walk Snapshot: Amara Young

There are so many things that I love about our pack walking group.  I love the dogs.  I love the handlers.  I love the oldies.  I love the newbies.  I love the trails.  I love the post-walk coffee.  I love the conversation.  But most of all, I love the photos. 

And when it comes to photos, I don't think we could be any luckier.  Since the beginning, pack photographer Lp Reyes, has captured our walks through her lens.  Her photos are a weekly highlight. Each photo captures the essence of our walks in a way that is truly breathtaking.  Did I mention we were lucky?  It gets even better! 

Our treasured Lp and her faithful friend
Photo by Amara Young
 
Lp's photos and talent caught the eye of budding young photographer, Amara Young, who had heard of our walks through her friend and neighbor Jennifer Kroiss.  Soon Amara began joining us on our weekly walks as well.   From the first walk it was clear that Amara had a fantastic eye and innate talent.  I couldn't resist the opportunity to learn a little bit more about Amara through a question and answer format. 

And so, without further adieu, here are the words of Amara Young accompanying some of her favorite photos:

Q: When did your love for photography begin?  How long have you been taking pictures?

A: Well, my love for photography began when I was around 9 when I ordered my first hand held digital camera! At first, it wasn't for photography, I just loved bringing it around and taking pictures at family events and with friends. I had gone through four hand held digital cameras until just this past Christmas when I got my first professional camera! It is a Canon Rebel T3i. The camera really helped me find my love for photography. 

 Ms. Dixie always puts her best face forward
Photo by Amara Young

Q: What is your favorite part about photographing the pack walks?
A:  My favorite part of photographing the pack walks is seeing every person and dog up so early, but energetic and excited to be walking. I love capturing human and animal expressions and interactions! 

 What our walks are all about
Photo by Amara Young

Q: How is photographing dogs different from other subjects (people, scenery, abstract images etc)?
A:  Photographing dogs is much more difficult than taking pictures of people and scenery. Dogs are always moving and with so many different colored coats its hard to get the right backdrop for the dogs to look their best. People, for the most part, can stand still if asked and scenery doesn't move.

  
Mookie hams it up for an Easter shot
Photo by Amara Young
 
Q: What have you learned about your craft through the pack walks?
A:  I've learned that I really do love photography through these walks. It is very rewarding to look at the pictures when I get home and put them on my computer. Also, I have learned I love being on site for photography. It already has me thinking about traveling in my future to on-site events or disasters. 

 
Pack walk hunk Marshal knows that real men wear flowers
Photo by Amara Young

Q: Do you have a favorite breed that you like to shoot? What kind of dog really gets you excited to take their photograph?
A: I love taking pictures of all types of dogs! They are all so unique, just like people. The dogs I get excited about taking pictures of are, are the ones who "smile" while walking, it makes for a great picture.

 The woman behind the camera
Self-portrait by Amara Young

For more info on Amara Young private photography email young.amara@yahoo.com













4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mad love goes out to LP and Amara for all of the wonderful photos they snap and share with us. Thank you for sharing your love and talent.

    Becky D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love seeing other pack walks and the gorgeous dogs captured by great photography. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY AMARA!! She is honestly such a nice and talented girl. She is going to go far with her camera :)

    ReplyDelete